“Be sober, be vigilant; because of your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour” (1 Peter 5:8).
If you have ever watched nature documentaries, you have undoubtedly seen a lion hunt and kill an animal out of a herd. It seems quite brutal as we sit in our comfortable chairs and view the carnage, but what is even more sickening in a spiritual sense is concentrating on the words of Peter. You see, it points out a very disturbing fact — the devil kills the same kinds of Christians:
- THE SMALL — These are the newborn and young who are not strong enough yet to avoid the lion with his speed and cunning.
- THE SLOW — These are the sheep who are not alert enough nor quick enough to avoid the lion.
- THE SICKLY — These are the sick and weak who are trapped because they are not able to run away from the lion.
- THE STRAGGLERS — Those who have wandered away from the fellowship and protection of the group are easy prey for the lion.
- THE SOLITARY — Those who never run in herds unless they are big, fast, or strong will not survive where the lion lives.
When one looks over this list, something else comes to mind. You never see one sheep or even a herd of sheep kill a lion. They are much too weak and he is much too strong. Learn the lessons of nature. Do not assume that you are stronger or your pride and arrogance might provide the next lion’s lunch.