No one on earth is immune to sin. “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23). The only person in the world who never sinned was Jesus. “For he hath made him be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him” (2 Corinthians 5:21).
From the Bible, we know that sin is the result of going against God’s law. “Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law” (1 John 3:4). Matthew 7:23 says, “And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.” “Iniquity” is sometimes translated as “lawlessness.”
What are you going to do when you sin? Will you stay in your sin or will you ﬁnd forgiveness? Here are some suggestions:
- I am not going to stay lost, I am going to obey the gospel and be baptized for the remission of my sins (Acts 2:38; 22:16).
- I am not going to retreat; I am going to repent (Genesis 3:8; Luke 13:3; Acts 2:38).
- I am not going to give up; I am going to look up (Colossians 3:1-5).
- I am not going to hide it, I am going to confess it (Proverbs 28:13; James 5:16).
- I am not going to make an excuse; I am going to repent and make a change (Luke 14:18-24).
- I am not going to ask for a more convenient season; I am going to ask for forgiveness (Acts 24:25; 1 John 1:9; Luke 18:13).
- I am not going to leave my Lord; I am going to love my Lord and Master (John 6:66-69).
- I am not going to be weaker; I am going to stop sinning and be stronger (1 Peter 5:10).
- I am not going to live fearfully; I am going to live faithful all the way until my death (Revelation 2:10).
- I am not going to allow unrighteousness to reign; I am going to allow the righteousness to reign (Romans 6:12-13).
- I am not going to be overcome by sin; I am going to overcome sin (Romans 8:37).
- I am not going to live for Satan; I am going to live for my Lord and Savior (James 4:7-10).
- I am not going to continue a life that will send me to hell; I am going to live so that I will go to heaven (Revelation 20:11-15; 22:14-17).
These steps are the perfect response to sin. “Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord” (Acts 3:19). You need to stop your sin and turn back to the Lord. Numbers 32:23 says, “But if ye will not do so, behold, ye have sinned against the Lord: and be sure your sin will ﬁnd you out.” Don’t let it have to be found out — stop it today!
Adapted from Kevin Maxey