Most people think if you have money, you have all the advantages in life — the disciples thought the same way. But Jesus showed that riches can be a distinct disadvantage (Mark 10:23-31). We want to show that the real advantages in this life are to those who are following Christ:
- A hope of God. We believe we are made in the image of God (Genesis 1:26-27). We will give an account to our Creator (2 Corinthians 5:10). Believing that man evolved from animals (organic evolution) does not give man much dignity.
- An inward satisfaction. There is a personal satisfaction in knowing that we please God. God wants all to honor His Son (John 5:22-23), and we do this by becoming His children. There is something very gratifying in the inner-self in knowing that we please our Creator.
- The forgiveness of sins. Someone has to receive remission of sins before they can become a Christian. Many will die with their sins unforgiven, but this is sadly unnecessary (John 8:24). Christians continue to have the blessings of forgiveness (Acts 8:22; 1 John 1:9-2:2).
- The blessing of prayer. There is help from God in your time of need (Hebrews 4:16; 10:21-22). Only a Christian has access to the Father (Ephesians 2:18). Words cannot describe the satisfaction, nor can it be exhausted with words. Prayer produces a tremendous inner joy.
- The blessing to society. Christians are salt and light (Matthew 5:13-16). Employers have learned that Christians make better employees (Colossians 3:22-25). If you were hiring someone, would you rather have a Christian or a carnal person working for you?
- The ability to cope with hardships. There is a certain amount of adversity and hardship that comes to everyone, but a Christian can have an inward peace (Philippians 4:6-7), knowing that this test of faith will turn out great benefits (Romans 5:3-4; 1 Peter 1:6-9).
- Membership in a local congregation. In the local church we study God’s word and increase our knowledge of His will. We have encouragement toward a common goal (Hebrews 10:24). There are some members in the local churches who are hypocrites, but also there are some of the best people in the world.
- The betterment of the family. A Christian makes a better husband, wife, father, or mother (Ephesians 5:22-31). Generally, children of godly parents are better children (Ephesians 6:1). No greater heritage can be passed down.
- The heavenly reward. This is also called eternal life. The reward will far outweigh the price. But there is a great day of wrath coming when those who are against God will be destroyed (2 Thessalonians 1:7-9). We are to fear because the fear of the Lord causes you to depart from evil.
There are multiple blessings to being a Christian. It pays to be a Christian. But none of these blessings can be yours unless you become a Christian. Let us who are Christians remain steadfast so that we can continue to enjoy the blessings.